Wednesday, April 27, 2011

This Will Be My Testimony

TUESDAY APRIL 26, 2011
9:45AM
WALGREENS
CORNER OF AMBASSADOR CAFFERY & CONGRESS
LAFAYETTE, LA


Where are they always running a special on breath mints???  That would be at the corner convenience store!

The closest store to me when the thought of battling my breath popped into my head was the Walgreens at the corner of Ambassador Caffery & Congress Street.  Some of you offenders recognize this corner as the speed trap & red light trap of death.  Has it caught you yet? 

Nevertheless, I made my way into the store.  As soon as the automatic doors parted and I took my first step into the store I was immediately greeting with a "Good Morning!" by two female employees at the front door.  The direct eye contact and smiles both of them passed my way told me that they really wanted my morning to be more than good. 

Sometimes when retail employees say "Good Morning" they mean "I'm just doing my job.  I'm not really concerned how you are finding this particular morning.  It could be great.  It could stink.  It could be evening for all I know.  I just don't care".  All from two words!  Maybe they mean good mourning and are being respectfully somber?

And sometimes when retail employees say "Good Morning", they don't just wish your morning is good.  They wish your morning is FREAKING FANTASTIC!!!

These two employees made me feel the latter. 

I picked up the breath mints.  On sale, of course. 

I proceeded to the check-out counter.  On my way, after learning that Catherine Zeta-Jones is suffering from bipolar disorder (People) and being oddly intrigued by the William & Kate dedicated display, I cheerfully heard, "Found everything you need, baby?"  I acknowledged that I had.  And as she passed my mints over the scanner, she turned what, in most circumstances, would be an in-and-out transaction into a conversation between real people. 

"Oooh, I like these mints.  Did you know that they really help a sore throat?  I had one a few weeks ago and I tried these and they really made my throat feel better." 

I smiled and told her I was not aware of the mints' additional benefits.

"And I like these too.  Oooh, wintergreen is my favorite too!" 

Eunice gave me her testimony.  She spun what I expected to be a robotic transaction (I expected to hear just "$3.06") into a personal account of how this purchase might help me in a way I probably didn't realize.  All in a friendly manner.

That is excellent service! 

What makes service excellent is the relationship.  When you are forming a relationship with someone, you share something about yourself.  Walls come down and personal sides are revealed.  Precious time is spent with each other. 

Now I may never see Eunice again.  We probably won't go fishing together.  Our families probably won't get together for Thanksgiving or other holidays.  We probably won't have anything more of a relationship than buyer/seller.  But I thoroughly enjoyed the minute-long relationship we had. 

And now the Walgreens at the corner of Ambassador Caffery & Congress tells me this through Eunice's testimony:  "We like you, we appreciate you and we are looking out for you!"

All because Eunice smiled, appreciated me and offered a small bit of herself. 

Take notes, everyone--don't be afraid to share yourself with your customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment